The Coalition for Good Governance and Economic Justice in Africa has commiserated with the Government and people of Kano State over an early morning fire that gutted the multi-billion Naira Singer Market, where goods and cash estimated at N3 Billion were destroyed.
The Coalition in a statement in Abuja weekend, signed by its Media Coordinator, Mr. Patrick Omene said, “this is most unfortunate to the economy of Kano State, more so coming after Kurmi market, the oldest market in Kano was destroyed by fire and the last month inferno at the furniture section of Abubakar Rimi market”.
The numerous inferno in Kano state no doubt, came with devastating losses in its wake with tales of pain, anguish and hopelessness at a time the economy is experiencing a global downturn, Omene observed.
According to Omene, “We share in the pains of the victims of these unfortunate incidents. We also commiserate with Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje at these trying times just as we commend Mr. Governor for the plans to inject the sum of N2bn in the Microfinance banks to establish an enabling environment for Small and Medium Enterprises to grow and operate in the state”.
The right group said, “We wants to thank the Federal Government for making plans to alleviate the sufferings of the victims and other well-meaning Nigerians for their support and understanding.
“We hope the various Federal, State and Local Government agencies concerned will work together to manage and bring the situation under control while working to identify the cause and putting preventive measures in place to avoid future occurrence.
“Most importantly, we thank the Almighty God that no lives were lost in the incident.
“Generally, Nigerians should be cautious when handling flammable materials and electrical appliances at the place of work, because of the effects of extreme weather which causes fires to spread quickly.
“Community leaders have a role to play in educating those living in peculiar environments to be cautious about the use of firewood or other smoldering objects and heating materials.
“Those burning refuse dumps should desist therefrom just as those who indulge in in bush burning to catch rodents and other animals. We all need to be on our guard and be safety conscious at all times and guided against fire disasters”.