The Police Service Commission, PSC, has commenced the process of recruiting 10,000 men into the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, warning against any form of shortcut during the exercise. This is in response to the presidential directive that more Nigerians be recruited into the force to boost its personnel.
To this ends, a portal for the recruitment, which begins on April 1, 2016, has been unveiled by chairman of the commission and former Inspector-General of Police, Sir Mike Okiro, in Abuja. Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari had at the National Security Summit last year in Abuja, directed the recruitment of 10,000 men into the police force to provide adequate internal security for the country. Okiro, while unveiling the portal at a ceremony attended by the management team of the commission, disclosed that the portal would be opened to the public on April 1, 2016, which will herald the commencement of the recruitment. He said the unveiling of the portal was in actualization of the Presidential directive, adding that the commission considered the exercise remarkable, since there had been no recruitment into the Nigeria Police Force for more than five years due to financial constraints.
He noted that thousands of policemen, who died in the course of service, dismissed or retired, had not been replaced since the last five years, leaving the Force under-manned and over stretched. Okiro said the recruitment would strengthen and re-energize the Force to face more squarely the myriad of security challenges posed by insurgency, kidnapping, cattle rustling and other criminalities that impede the socio-economic and political development of the country. He explained that the commission could not commence the exercise last year because the funding was not captured in the 2015 budget, adding that with the commencement of the process on April 1, interested Nigerians should access the portal through the commission’s websitewww.psc.gov.ng or that of the Nigeria Police Force, www.npf.gov.ng. Okiro announced that there would be no charges for the processing of the forms which would be done on-line, adding: “We are not charging money. It is free, absolutely free.” He also noted that the portal had been structured in a way that there would be no short cut, stressing that everybody must go through due process.